by Kevin Gillingham | Nov 04, 2020
It’s that time of the year again – Movember!
Each year in November, people grow out their facial hair for 30 days to raise awareness for causes associated with men’s health. Movember began in Australia in 2003 to raise awareness for prostate and testicular cancers, suicide prevention and mental health.
Since then, the Movember movement has grown tremendously, funding over 1,250 men’s health projects globally and seen numbers rise from 30 moustaches to 5 million.
- In Canada, 1 in 9 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime.
- Testicular Cancer is the most common cancer in young Canadian men.
- Globally, on average, 1 man dies by suicide every minute of the day.
Last year, Movember raised $121.7 million globally, which included funds from the Movember campaign, the Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride, and other income sources. 399,441 MoBros and MoSisters from around the world took part in the 2019 campaign.
Movember invests in world-class programs that are aligned with the organization’s strategic goals.
- Mental Health: Projects focus on prevention and early interventions.
- Prostate and Testicular Cancer: Investments are made in biomedical research into potential new tests and treatments, clinical quality registries that are aimed at improving treatments and reducing side effects.
Kevin Gillingham, Activo’s Vice President, Sales and Marketing, will join the cause for his ninth consecutive year. He is proud to be able to support the Movember Foundation in their work to promote this honourable cause.
“Globally, more than 300,000 men will die of prostate cancer this year. Movember is working to halve the number of deaths from prostate cancer by 2030, and I want to help them get there. Help me stop men dying too young.”
- Kevin Gillingham, Activo Vice President, Sales and Marketing
Last year was a historic year for Kevin as he raised $4,455 taking his 8-year total to $13,190. Help us take that number even higher!
When we’re not growing fantastic moustaches, Activo helps businesses implement secure and scalable IP networks and infrastructure. Learn more about us here!
- Movember Has Never Been More Important - November 4, 2020
- Sleep Out: Extraordinary Leaders Supporting Vulnerable Communities - October 30, 2020
- Activo Invests in Training to Emerge Stronger From COVID-19 - July 29, 2020
- Activo Recognized as Cisco Premier Certified Partner in Canada - July 9, 2020
- Activo Holds Collection Drive for Fare Share Food Bank Oakville - June 25, 2020
- Activo Providing Essential ICT Services for Hospitals and Long-Term Care Facilities - June 1, 2020
- Free Webex Offer in Response to COVID-19 - April 22, 2020
- How 5G Technology Transforms the Internet and the Way You Do Business - April 17, 2020
- We Are Open and Here to Support You - March 24, 2020
- How Video Analytics is Helping Secure Your Home, Business, and City - February 27, 2020