by Kevin Gillingham | Aug 31, 2016
More than ever, mobile devices are becoming a central part of people’s day-to-day lives. They’re how we find information, keep in touch with friends and family, stay on top of our calendars – they’re even how we work. Of the three billion participants in our global workforce, 80% of them don’t work at a desk, and yet the majority of infrastructure investments are made for the 20% who do. This means there’s incredible potential to be found in the mobile enterprise market for vendors ready to cater to it.
According to Mitel, here are some of the upcoming trends for the mobile enterprise market:
1. Rely on Devices that Do More
Field workers have long had relatively simple devices able to perform one or two tasks at once including billing, diagnostics, and updating information. That’s just the point, though. These outdated devices only did that one job.
Today’s mobile-ready workers are looking for devices that offer multifunctional capabilities to let them do more when, where, and how they need to. To meet that demand and boost productivity, some companies pre-load devices with upwards of twenty apps. Others enable users to search out the applications they need most and let them load them for themselves.
How will your business respond?
2. Consider BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) Policies
For end users, it’s often easier if they have devices that they’re familiar with and know how to use. BYOD policies can save costs by removing the need to invest in hardware; however, they also ask more of IT departments who need to support the diversity of systems and applications.
3. Work with Flexible, Agile Platforms
Traditionally, apps have been hard-coded to be used with specific supporting platforms. When the need arises to integrate with a number of programs, so too do the problems. Developers are increasingly working to remove these barriers to create more accommodating software and technology.
Remember, though, that flexibility doesn’t mean an app has to be generic. Instead, app developers are becoming better at identifying niches and developing tools tailored to the needs of diverse industries, small businesses, and global organizations.
4. Be Prepared for IoT
When it comes to mobile, we’re only on our way up. By 2021, Gartner predicts that one million devices will be sold every hour of every day. Companies are beginning to look ahead to that major shift, planning how they’ll be able to revamp their internal policies and processes to make the most of the opportunities the IoT brings.
How can you prepare your cabling and networks to handle the demands of the IoT? Check out our blog to find out!
5. Take Steps to Maximize Security
As information is more widely shared and dispersed, opportunities for cracks to appear and leaks to occur increase as well. New security practices – including mobile device management (MDM) – are designed to let IT teams control their information and make them less vulnerable to hackers.
These are just some of the trends businesses of all shapes and sizes will need to grapple with as mobile devices like smartphones and tablets become increasingly ubiquitous. The key to a successful transition is effective preparation, knowing what to expect and how you’ll respond to make the most of an increasingly mobile workforce.
At Activo, we work with industry-leading partners like Mitel to deliver solutions for businesses of any size looking to maximize success in the IoT. Contact us today to discuss your needs!
- The Future Looks Bright with Cisco’s Digital Ceiling
- 3 Ways Future-Ready Cabling Prepares Networks for the Internet of Things
- 5 Steps to Create an Effective Incident Response Program
- Activo Sleeps Out in Support of Covenant House Toronto - August 20, 2018
- Activo Was Proud to Support United Way Halton & Hamilton’s 30th Annual Oakville Mayor’s Invitational Golf Tournament - July 20, 2018
- Why You Need to Be Ready to Deploy a Digital Building Architecture - May 29, 2018
- 3 IoT Trends for 2018 (and Beyond) - March 23, 2018
- Evolving Today’s Data Centres to Meet Tomorrow’s Demands - January 19, 2018
- Happy Holidays from Activo! - December 20, 2017
- 5 Benefits of Cloud Communications - December 15, 2017
- Activo Opens Its London Office to Expand Its Network Planning, Integration, Installation, and Support Expertise throughout Southwestern Ontario - November 13, 2017
- Join the Momentum this Movember in Support of Men’s Health - November 8, 2017
- The 6 Industries Leading the Way in the IoT - October 17, 2017