by Kevin Gillingham | May 29, 2018
The digital building is the foundation of your transformation, delivering efficiencies running throughout the entire lifecycle of your infrastructure including:
- Savings of up to 30% in energy use, maintenance, and spatial management.
- An over 15% increase in productivity.
- The elimination of as much as 50% of our energy waste.
However you look at it, the reality is this—traditional buildings take more time, money, and effort to manage compared to future-forward digital buildings.
To find out more about preparing for the digital building, check out this infographic from Cisco.
In this blog, we wanted to take a closer look at some of the promises the digital building is sure to bring:
3 Benefits That the Digital Building Will Bring
1. Improved Efficiency
- By taking small actions like using sensors to adjust room temperatures and turn lights on and off, you can reduce energy use by over 25%—significant savings especially for larger sites like shopping malls or warehouses.
- Pre-empt maintenance with systems that alert you automatically when there’s a problem (minor or major) and enable you to act preventatively when possible.
2. Predict Need
Intelligent buildings will be able to analyze behaviours to understand how spaces are actually used and anticipate demands before users even ask:
- In offices, the digital building will offer opportunities to create tailor-made working spaces with unique lighting and temperature preferences so employees feel better and can work more productively.
- With retail, you will be able to understand how visitors shop so you can more easily tell a “buyer” apart from a “browser”.
- Industrial buildings will benefit from automated pick-up processes as well as more accurate and rapid shipments.
- Multi-family dwellings will enjoy better experiences fully centred around their own habits.
Deloitte University Press created an interactive graphic exploring how the IoT will affect office, retail, industrial, and multi-family buildings. Click here to learn more and see the tool in action!
3. Enhance Productivity
Digital buildings mean more than just making technology smarter. They are also about creating solutions that make users’ lives better and simpler. This will be especially important in the workplace, where many people spend upwards of 1500 hours per years.
Businesses can take advantage of digital buildings to:
- Adjust temperature, air quality, and lighting to suit the wishes of individual employees.
- Monitor ventilation levels throughout the day to achieve an optimal balance.
- Boost productivity by scheduling days (tasks and breaks) in a way that encourages collaboration.
Regardless of your industry or size, the future of the digital building will lead to tangible benefits for building owners ready to make the most of it.
Activo partners with industry leaders to make the digital building of tomorrow a reality today. Contact us today to discuss your needs!
Read more from Activo:
- Thank You for Helping Us Make Our Digital Building Technology Seminar Such a Success!
- 4 Insights on What a Digital Transformation Will Mean for Your Business
- Building for the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Happy Holidays and All the Best in the New Year - December 17, 2018
- Why Structured Cabling Is the Backbone of the Digital Building - November 1, 2018
- Support Activo’s Own Mo Bro, Kevin Gillingham, This Movember - November 1, 2018
- Activo Sleeps Out in Support of Covenant House Toronto - August 20, 2018
- Activo Was Proud to Support United Way Halton & Hamilton’s 30th Annual Oakville Mayor’s Invitational Golf Tournament - July 20, 2018
- Why You Need to Be Ready to Deploy a Digital Building Architecture - May 29, 2018
- 3 IoT Trends for 2018 (and Beyond) - March 23, 2018
- Evolving Today’s Data Centres to Meet Tomorrow’s Demands - January 19, 2018
- Happy Holidays from Activo! - December 20, 2017
- 5 Benefits of Cloud Communications - December 15, 2017