While most of us retreat to the warmth of our homes during winter, over 6000 homeless youth in Toronto experience homelessness every night. Homelessness takes its toll on young lives, with around 85% of homeless youth suffering from mental-health problems, and 42% reporting at least one suicide attempt.
On November 21st, Jim Taylor, President of Activo, will participate in Covenant House’s Sleep Out event in Toronto to raise awareness and funds to help end youth homelessness.
Why Sleep Out?
Sleep Out gives participants the opportunity to experience first-hand the hardships faced by homeless youth on the city’s streets by living as they do, exposed to harsh weather with just a sleeping bag to keep them warm.
Watch This Video to hear from the participants themselves.
What’s In Store For The Night?
- 6:00 P.M – Participants will arrive for registration and a networking reception at 6:00 P.M.
- 7:00 P.M – Participants are served dinner by youth from Covenant House’s ‘Cooking for Life’ program.
- 7:30 P.M – Speeches by Covenant House alumni who will share their stories.
- 8:20 P.M – Tours and evening programming to enhance participants’ understandings of youth homelessness.
- 10:30 P.M – Participants pick out their sleeping bags and cardboards to head out for a night on the street.
About Covenant House Toronto
Covenant House is Canada’s largest agency serving youth who are homeless, trafficked or at risk. It offers the widest range of 24/7 services to about 350 young people each day. The organization advocates for long-term change to improve the lives of vulnerable youth, by influencing public policy, leading awareness and prevention programs and continually building and sharing knowledge. Donors contribute almost 80% of the organizations $33 million annual operating budget.
Covenant House Offers
- Housing options for youth at risk.
- Health and well bring support.
- Training and skill development programs
To support Jim’s Sleep Out and Covenant House Toronto, please click here. On behalf of us at Activo and Covenant House – thank you.
Activo believes in charitable and community support. Click here to see some of the organizations we support.
Read more from Activo: